Facebook and the New Colonialism
- Does the fact that users generally upgrade to the Internet soon after trying Free Basics influence Facebook’s claim against expanding its global user base?
- Is using the regular Facebook with ads and data gathering programs a better alternative to users than the ad-free version of the site? Which would you prefer?
- In what ways can we “decolonize” Facebook’s platform?
Search Engines and Power: A Politics of Online (Mis-) Information
- How do search engines increase the gap between online users?
- Could natural language processing technologies (NLP) be more useful or more confusing for users than sites with clean and simple interfaces like Google?
- How do we, as media and communication users, influence this online politics of search engines?
Op-Ed: A Library to Last Forever
- How would consumer choice in out-of-print books be limited by the settlement with the Authors Guild and the Association of American Publishers?
- Why do you think that Google took the lead in investing resources into this project?
Are we stuck in filter bubbles? Here are five potential paths out
- Which proposal has the best chance of reversing the filter bubble?
- Is the filter bubble a new concept only associated with new media? If not, how has it evolved from old media sources?
- Do you think that people will actually alternate between the “only stuff I like” and “stuff other people like but I’ll probably hate” or would it only further isolate users?