- What is your own definition of media?
- Why does Jenkins say “Survivor” is TV for the internet age? What does that mean?
- What does Jenkins mean when he says that Spoilers have a lot of power, if they redirected it they could delve into the government? How does this affect our use of the internet?
- How can we trust the information we put out and take in on the internet? What is it about collective intelligence that doesn’t make us question the information very much?
- O’Reilly describes the Web 2.0 as the development of particular software, interfaces, and internet activity. Can these changes really be documented as one swift development? Why? Why not?
- The end of the release cycle means that developers are relying on user participation and response to update their software. Do you think this method has required a change within company operations?
- The revolution of the internet, particularly web 2.0, has allowed the spread of “collective intelligence.” How does O’Reilly say the internet has created a space to spread and share information?
Technology Today: Utopia or Dystopia
- What is your view on machines doing jobs previously done by humans?
- How does technology impact your life? How does it affect the practices and patterns of your everyday life?
- Do you feel technology gives you more freedom or constrains your choices?
- Do you feel that society has reached the “take-off” point? A point where no more technological growth and social integration is needed.
- Joseph Corn said that Americans expected the aviation innovations of the 1920- 1930s “to foster democracy, equality, and freedom; to improve public taste and spread culture; to purge the world of war and violence, and even to give rise to a new kind of human being.” Do you think the innovations in computer and telecommunications can foster these changes?