- In Hackers Steven Levy spends a good deal of time describing the character of the individuals involved in the early forays into computer science. How were these people portrayed? Do you think this is a fair and accurate description? Does it conform to any stereotypes? Why or why not?
- Do you think these traits were important, or necessary, to the early development of computing? Why or why not?
- Are these traits reflected in the Hacking ethic? Do you think the hacking ethic provides good guiding principles? Why or why not?
The Cathedral and the Bazaar
- What is the difference between the cathedral and the bazaar? Which do you prefer? Why or why not?
- What does Eric Raymond think the advantages of the bazaar are? Do you agree with him why or why not?
- Do you think these methods can be useful outside of computing? Why or Why not?
Intro & Battle of the Black Boxes
- What do you think Steve jobs meant in the quote on page 3? Do you think this was a good thing? Why or why not?
- What does the author mean about the pc and the internet being generative? Do you think this is true? Do you think this will change? Why or why not?
- Johnathan Zittrain talks about a cycle between generative platforms and controlled appliances do you think this is true? Can you think of other examples outside the computing industry? Do you think this is the way things have to be? Why or why not?